We’re excited to announce that we’re hiring for a new Full-Time Intern.
Position Type: Full-Time: Start Date TBD, with a 12-month commitment preference. Position Location: Remote; Pacific Northwest Preference
About Arc Health: One of the most crucial elements of a strong health system is skilled health staff. Without talented and dedicated medical professionals, there can be no strong health system. In underserved rural communities in the United States and around the world, there is a near-universal relationship between persistent poverty and a lack of health workers.
Often, financial constraints aren’t the main reason behind this lack: while there are often public funds allocated to hire health professionals, qualified and willing applicants are insufficient, especially in underserved communities. This situation opens a market for recruitment companies to fill vacancies with temporary health workers. As these for-profit companies focus on short-term placements, the result is that health systems lack the committed partnerships that foster the long-term recruitment and retention of qualified talent AND those underserved do not receive the quality health services they deserve.
Arc Health is the first public benefit company formed to disrupt the medical staffing industry— focusing exclusively on achieving health equity through the recruitment and retention of skilled and socially committed health staff to serve underserved communities.
Arc Health was co-founded by Dr. Phuoc Le, Dr. Sriram Shamasunder and Dave Shaffer. Dr’s. Le and Shamashunder are physicians and professors with decades of experience in serving the poorest communities in the U.S. and abroad, from Los Angeles to Liberia. In 2015, they co-founded the HEAL Initiative Global Health Fellowship at the University of California-San Francisco, which has grown to over 100 current and past fellows in the U.S. and in seven other countries. Dave Shaffer, is a socially minded business professional with 20+ years of leading and expanding mission-based organizations. In the collective compassionate ethos they work toward with Arc Health, they are advancing their vision to achieve a world where the most vulnerable populations have equitable access to the best health professionals.
Position Overview and Goals:
In this role, you will be a part of Arc Health’s team, which is transforming rural health care in America. The overarching goals of this full-time internship with Arc Health are:
- To expose the intern to the development and implementation of a public benefit healthcare company
- To develop explicit skills and gain knowledge pertinent to global health equity and delivery, including writing for advocacy, curriculum development, human resource cultivation, community building, leadership, strategic planning, and management
- To mentor the intern toward a successful career in global health delivery and underserved care, with particular emphasis on working in settings that have been historically marginalized due to structural racism and oppression
The intern will spend an average of 40 hours per week on Arc Health-related activities:
- KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) will be developed on a monthly and quarterly basis that clarifies the objectives and will assist the intern in prioritizing work-flow
- On a bi-weekly basis, the intern will meet with the Arc Health CEO and/or co-founder to discuss progress toward KPIs, review deliverables, and obtain feedback
- Ability to travel for work domestically for short durations
- Demonstrate proficiency or willing to learn: Word, Excel, Slack, Powerpoint, Mailchimp
- Excellent writing and verbal/presentation skills in English
Work Activities Include (but are not limited to):
- Be the lead for developing topics, researching, and writing blogs for publication on Arc Health’s website
- To (1) disseminate educational information about health disparities with a particular emphasis on the structural causes of poor health and health care in colonized or otherwise oppressed communities; (2) to establish thought leadership and disseminate the values of Arc Health; (3) to assist in attracting top clinicians
Social Media/CRM/Mailing Lists:
- Be responsible for developing social media and communication strategy
- Will assist in curating and developing relevant content for curricula and programs for Arc Health clinicians who start work in Arc Health partner facilities. The goal is to maximally prepare Arc Health clinicians to provide high quality, competent care that respects and is informed by the historical, cultural, and economic context of the particular partner site
- Intern will work closely with Arc Health co-founder and other Arc Health clinical leads to develop and deploy these curricula
- Will assist in reaching out to both demand side (i.e. facilities) and supply side (i.e. clinicians) to inform potential clients of opportunities and to initiate potential collaboration. This may require travel to conferences, recruitment events, etc to represent Arc Health.
Additionally, we are looking for the following important values and qualifications:
- Be motivated and creative, develop ideas and execute on them
- Be a self-starter, willing to take initiative, and have a strong work ethic
- Proactively seek and give feedback to improve the team as a whole
- Bachelors degree preferred
- 12-month commitment
- Official travel, lodging, and meals will be covered by Arc Health.
If this role sounds interesting to you, please submit a cover letter and resume to Dave Shaffer, at email@example.com.
Arc Health is an equal opportunity employer and is actively seeking to build a team that represents “all of us” so interested and qualified persons of all racial, ethnic, socio-economic, religious, gender, and other identities are strongly encouraged to apply.